Google Input Tools in Gmail enables you write messages in most of the languages used in the world. Google Input Tools provides virtual keyboards for over 70 languages and full input Method Editor (IME) or transliteration for over 20 different scripts. It means you can write in most of the world’s languages.
You can type in other languages, even if your keyboard or computer doesn’t support them. Depending on the language and your preferences, this tool offers virtual keyboards, transliteration tools, and IMEs.
- Transliteration: Type languages phonetically in English letters, and they’ll appear in their correct alphabet. Transliteration is different from translation, the sound of the words is converted from one alphabet to the other, not the meaning.
- Input Method Editor (IME): Use a Latin alphabet keyboard to convert your keystrokes to Asian characters. This tool offers a handful of IMEs like Pinyin and Wubi IMEs for Simplified Chinese, as well as Pinyin and Zhuyin/Bopomofo IMEs for Traditional Chinese and Japanese.
- Virtual Keyboard: Using an on-screen keyboard you can type in languages like Arabic, Hebrew, Thai and Korean.
Enable Google Input Tools in Gmail:
If Google Input Tools are not enabled in your Gmail account, You can enable it from settings in your account.
- Click on the gear type icon on the right side and select settings from dropdown menu.
- In the settings section under General tab in Language section click on advanced option next to display language and then checkbox next to Enable input tools as shown in the image below.
- In the Enable input tools click on Edit tools. A Popup windows will open with all available tools. Just select tool which you want to add and click OK.
- After you added tools click on save changes at the bottom of settings page.
You can select any one of the language you have just added from the dropdown list icon near settings icon and write in the selected language. You can also add other languages using the same method and toggle between them.
Google Input Tools also available on Google Drive/Docs and Google Translate. In Google search only one Input Tool in offered by Google which is Virtual keyboard.